State v. Saxon

2023 Ohio 306
Ohio Court of Appeals·Decided February 2, 2023·No. 111493·Published·Cited by 4 cases

Opinion

COURT OF APPEALS OF OHIO

EIGHTH APPELLATE DISTRICT COUNTY OF CUYAHOGA

STATE OF OHIO, :

Plaintiff-Appellee, :

No. 111493

v. :

MARK A. SAXON, JR., :

Defendant-Appellant. :

JOURNAL ENTRY AND OPINION

JUDGMENT: AFFIRMED

RELEASED AND JOURNALIZED: February 2, 2023

Criminal Appeal from the Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas Case No. CR-21-661684-A

Appearances:

Michael C. O’Malley, Cuyahoga County Prosecuting Attorney, and James Gallagher, Assistant Prosecuting Attorney, for appellee.

Flowers & Grube, Melissa A. Ghrist, and Louis E. Grube, for appellant.

EILEEN T. GALLAGHER, J.:

Defendant-appellant, Mark Saxon (“Saxon”), appeals his sentence and claims the following errors:

1. The trial court committed plain error by imposing consecutive sentences that the record does not clearly and convincingly support.

2. The trial court committed plain error by imposing two postrelease control periods consecutively to each other.

We affirm the trial court’s judgment.

I. Facts and Procedural History Saxon was charged with one count of kidnapping in violation of R.C.

2905.01(B)(2), a first-degree felony; one count of felonious assault in violation of R.C. 2903.11(A)(2), a second-degree felony; one count of domestic violence, in violation of R.C. 2919.25(A), a first-degree misdemeanor; two counts of child endangering in violation of R.C. 2919.22(A), first-degree misdemeanors; and one count of attempted having weapons while under disability in violation of R.C. 2923.13(A)(2), a fourth-degree felony. The kidnapping, felonious assault, and having weapons while under disability charges included one-, 18-month, and three- year firearm specifications as well as notice of prior conviction and repeat-violent- offender specifications. Those charges also included a forfeiture specification for the firearm used in the crimes.

The charges arose from an incident in which the victim, who is the mother of Saxon’s youngest child, told police that Saxon used force to restrain her and that he threatened to shoot her. Since there were two children present when Saxon threatened the victim with a firearm, the state alleged that Saxon recklessly endangered the safety of the children. The indictment further alleged that Saxon had previously been convicted of felonious assault with a one-year firearm specification in 2015.

Saxon pleaded guilty to one count of attempted abduction with the forfeiture specification, a fourth-degree felony in violation of R.C. 2923.02 and 2905.02(A)(1), as amended in Count 1; one count of domestic violence as originally charged in Count 3; and one count of attempted having weapons while under disability with the forfeiture specification, as charged in Count 6. The remaining counts and specifications were nolled.

At the plea hearing, the prosecutor explained that the victim recanted her story after the grand jury indicted Saxon. The victim originally reported that Saxon struck her multiple times in the head and body with his fists and threatened to kill her with a firearm. Although she was not treated for specific injuries, she went to MetroHealth Hospital because she thought she was having a miscarriage as a result of the beating. There is no evidence in the record to confirm whether she sustained a miscarriage other than the victim’s statement to police that she started bleeding from her vagina shortly after the assault. The victim subsequently told prosecutors that Saxon did not hit her with the weapon. After taking the guilty pleas, the court requested a presentence-investigation report and scheduled sentencing for a later date.

At the sentencing hearing, the prosecutor summarized the victim’s original statement for the court. The victim initially told police that Saxon began driving recklessly after leaving a family party, pulled into an alley, took her out of the car, and “struck her multiple times with closed fists.” (Tr. 32.) She further alleged that after they returned home, Saxon forced her into a bedroom where he continued to beat her. He also threatened to kill her and the children with a loaded gun. (Tr. 32-33; presentence-investigation report.) The victim left the house and called the police.

Saxon admitted, through his attorney, that he used force to remove the victim from a family party because she was intoxicated and that he has anger- management issues. (Tr. 30-31.) Saxon told the court that the victim put the car in park and hit him while he was driving. (Tr. 36.) He denied that he ever assaulted the victim and claimed that everything she told the police “was a lie.” (Tr. 36.) Saxon explained:

She said that I used a gun. I didn’t use no gun or point no gun at my children, Your Honor. We was in the house, she was trying to get me removed from the house. I didn’t want to leave. She end up leaving, then the police came and got me.

(Tr. 36-37.)

Defense counsel advised the court that Saxon was apologetic for using physical force to remove the victim from the party and recognized that he needed treatment for his anger issues. (Tr. 31.) Counsel asked the court to impose community-control sanctions or, if the court were to impose a prison term, he requested incarceration at a community-based correctional facility so he could receive job training and treatment for his anger issues. (Tr. 31.)

However, the court asked defense counsel if he had read the presentence-investigation report, which described the details of the events, including the beating that continued for a lengthy period of time in two different locations. The presentence-investigation report also noted that the victim may have suffered a miscarriage as a result of the beating and that Saxon threatened the kill the victim and the children with the loaded gun. Defense counsel acknowledged that he read the presentence-investigation and that he had no “additions, corrections, or deletions” to make to the report. (Tr. 29-30.) Indeed, defense counsel conceded that the facts and circumstances of the case “look horrendous.” (Tr. 30.)

The prosecutor told the court that the victim did not attend the plea or sentencing hearings, but she wanted Saxon to accept the plea and she did not want him to be incarcerated. The state did not request a prison term and indicated it would defer to the trial court regarding sentencing. (Tr. 33.)

The trial court stated that it reviewed the presentence-investigation report and the institutional summary from Saxon’s prior prison term. The institutional summary indicated that Saxon had 52 altercations during his prior five- year prison term and that he received 52 “write ups.” (Tr. 37.) Referring to the number of write-ups, the court observed: “That’s the most I’ve ever seen in 31 years of being on this bench.” As previously stated, the presentence-investigation report detailed the events giving rise to the original charges as well as Saxon’s lengthy criminal record.

Based on the victim’s statement, Saxon’s concessions, and his criminal record, the court concluded that consecutive sentences were necessary to protect the public from future crimes. The court noted that consecutive sentences would total three years and found that the three years were not disproportionate to the seriousness of Saxon’s conduct and the danger he poses to the public. (Tr. 38.) The court also observed that Saxon committed the offenses in this case while he was on postrelease control. Accordingly, the court sentenced Saxon to 18 months on Count 1; time served on Count 3; and 18 months on Count 6, to be served consecutively for an aggregate three-year prison term. Saxon now appeals his sentence.

II. Law and Analysis

A. Consecutive Sentences

In the first assignment of error, Saxon argues the trial court committed plain error by imposing consecutive sentences that the record clearly and convincingly does not support.

Free access — add to your briefcase to read the full text and ask questions with AI

State v. Saxon, 2023 Ohio 306 (Ohio Ct. App. 2023).

2023 Ohio 306 (State v. Saxon) — published by Counsel Stack Legal Research, free access to 12M+ legal documents.

Related

State v. Kish
Ohio Court of Appeals, 2026
State v. Fonseca-Mora
Ohio Court of Appeals, 2026
State v. King
2025 Ohio 1365 (Ohio Court of Appeals, 2025)
State v. Percy
2024 Ohio 664 (Ohio Court of Appeals, 2024)
State v. Lewis
2024 Ohio 67 (Ohio Court of Appeals, 2024)
State v. Norris
2023 Ohio 4788 (Ohio Court of Appeals, 2023)